Cash-strapped Norwegian will reportedly seek compensation from Boeing for loss of revenue and the extra costs it has run up after Europe banned use of the 737 Max 8 yesterday.
The airline operates 18 of the aircraft type in its 162-strong fleet but has been struggling financially and will take a financial hit due to suspension of use the 737 Max 8. It issued an emergency rights issue last month as it looks to raise funds.
Norwegian said: “We expect Boeing to take this bill,” and added: “We are able to accommodate most intra-European passengers by these efforts but are still working on other options for our passengers travelling between Ireland and the US.”
European aviation regulatory bodies suspended use of the 737 Max 8 after the Ethiopian Airlines crash on Sunday that killed 157 people on board, the second crash in the space of less five months after a Lion Air 737 Max 8 crashed killing 188 in October.
Norwegian said that it cancelled 36 departures today (Wednesday), most of which were due to leave airports in Oslo, Stockholm and other Nordic cities.
The airline said today it will operate a Boeing 787 Dreamliner on a daily route from Dublin Airport to New York Stewart International Airport – in response to suspended 737 Max operations.
Norwegian said it is continuing to minimise inconvenience caused by the temporary grounding of the Boeing 737 Max by providing customers with SMS and web updates and care and assistance while re-routing passengers within its network.
Chief executive officer, Bjørn Kjos said: “First and foremost, I would like to apologise to our customers who are affected by the temporary grounding of our 737 MAX aircraft. Now our first priority is to look after our customers in the best possible way.
“Our colleagues in Norwegian are working tirelessly to find solutions for passengers who have been affected.”