As the French Government presented the country’s ambitions with regards to sustainable aviation fuel, in Toulouse, Airbus, Air France, Safran, Suez and Total acknowledge the launch of a new Call for Expression of Interest (CEI). The ambition presented set forth the conclusions of a working group which included government agencies and industrial partners, all of whom signed the Green Deal in December 2017.
This CEI is a fundamental first step towards the emergence of a sustainable aviation fuel industry in France. It will allow investment projects in second generation sustainable aviation fuel production units in France to be identified, as well as supportive measures and incentives in favour of such investments.
The implementation of an economically viable and lasting industry is key for accelerating the use of sustainable aviation fuel and for reducing net CO2 emissions in air transport. Guaranteeing that all players maintain a competitive edge in a competitive environment and helping to lead the world forward.
For 18 months, industrial entities have been mobilised and are working alongside the government to promote the emergence of a sustainable aviation fuel industry in France. The initiative constitutes the first innovative partnership between public and private players in the industry. It sets forth the conditions for developing lasting industries in France in the following set of recommendations:
– Mobilise the necessary volume of raw materials for the aviation sector,
– Ensure that sustainable resources, especially sustainable resources sourced from the circular economy, are used to produce advanced sustainable aviation fuel,
– Ensure that the industry is economically viable for all actors in the value chain through appropriate incentive schemes,
– Use existing airport logistics distribution networks,
– Support and promote production diversification.
The expansion of sustainable aviation fuel constitutes a strategic lever for reducing net CO2 emissions from air transport over a full lifecycle by up to 80% before blend.