Spirit Airlines, Inc. and Frontier Group Holdings, Inc., parent company of Frontier Airlines, Inc., today announced a definitive merger agreement under which the companies will combine, creating America’s most competitive ultra-low fare airline.
Together, Frontier and Spirit expect to change the industry for the benefit of consumers, bringing more ultra-low fares to more travelers in more destinations across the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, including major cities as well as underserved communities.
The stronger financial profile of the combined company will empower it to accelerate investment in innovation and growth and compete even more aggressively, especially against the dominant “Big Four” airlines, among others.
William A. Franke, the Chair of Frontier’s Board of Directors and the managing partner of Indigo Partners, Frontier’s majority shareholder, noted that Indigo has a long history with both Spirit and Frontier, and is proud to partner with them in creating a disruptive airline.
“We worked jointly with the Board of Directors and senior management team across both carriers to arrive at a combination of two complementary businesses that together will create America’s most competitive ultra-low fare airline for the benefit of consumers.”
“We are thrilled to join forces with Frontier to further democratize air travel,” said Ted Christie, President and CEO of Spirit.
“This transaction is centered around creating an aggressive ultra-low fare competitor to serve our Guests even better, expand career opportunities for our Team Members and increase competitive pressure, resulting in more consumer-friendly fares for the flying public.
“We look forward to uniting our talented teams to shake up the airline industry while also continuing our commitment to excellent Guest service.”
“This combination is all about growth, opportunities and creating value for everyone – from our Guests to our Team Members to the flying public at large,” said Mac Gardner, Chairman of the Board of Spirit.
“We’re a perfect fit – our businesses share similar values, including our longstanding commitment to affordable travel.
“At the same time, we have complementary footprints and fleets, including one of the youngest and greenest fleets worldwide.
“Together, we will be even more competitive for our Guests and our Team Members, and we are confident we can deliver on the benefits of this combination to consumers.”
“Together, Frontier and Spirit will be America’s Greenest Airline and deliver more ultra-low fares to more people in more places,” said Barry Biffle, President and CEO of Frontier.
“I couldn’t be more excited for our team members, customers, partners, the communities we serve and our shareholders.”
Consumers Win With More Ultra-Low Fares to More Places
The combined airline is expected to:
· Deliver $1 billion in annual consumer savings.
· Offer more than 1,000 daily flights to over 145 destinations in 19 countries, across complementary networks.
· Expand with more than 350 aircraft on order to deliver more ultra-low fares.
· Increase access to ultra-low fares by adding new routes to underserved communities across the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean.
· Deliver even more reliable service through a variety of operational efficiencies.
· Expand frequent flyer and membership offerings.
Team Members Win With Expanded Opportunities and Increased Stability
· By 2026 Spirit and Frontier expect to add 10,000 direct jobs and thousands of additional jobs at the companies’ business partners.
· Given the growth of the combined company, it is expected that all current team members will have an opportunity to be a part of the combined airline.
· Team Members of the combined airline will have better career opportunities and more stability as part of the most competitive ultra-low fare airline in the United States.