Malaysian government says search for Flight MH370 to end next week

posted on 23rd May 2018 by Justin Burns
Malaysian government says search for Flight MH370 to end next week

A private search by the US company Ocean Infinity for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 which went missing in 2014 will end on Tuesday (29 May), reports claim.

Media outlets report quotes today from Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke as saying the search for the Boeing 777 aircraft that vanished on 8 March 2014 will finish. The 90 day agreement to find it had already been extended to 29 May.

Flight MH370 had 239 people on-board, when it disappeared as it was heading on a route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. The incident is one of aviation’s biggest mysteries.

Malaysia had agreed in January to pay Houston-based Ocean Infinity up to $70 million if it found the aircraft during a 90-day search in the southern Indian Ocean.

Loke is reported as saying the government would release a full report on the investigation into MH370’s disappearance after search was completed, but had not yet set date for the report’s release.

Ocean Infinity was brought in after Australia, China and Malaysia ended a A$200 million ($159.38 million) search across a 120,000 square kilometre (46,332 square miles) area in the Indian Ocean last year.