Now in its sixth year, Singapore Airlines has launched its 2020 app challenge, seeking digital solutions to address real business challenges. It presents an opportunity for startups at the forefront of innovation to work with the world’s leading airline and be part of the driving force in changing the way we travel.
Having launched the #SIACares initiative, Singapore Airlines is already innovating in this area, for example having been the first to launch a companion app allowing customers to control the inflight entertainment system from their own devices.
There are four stages to the challenge, with the first being the submission round. Submissions must be made via https://appchallenge.singaporeair.com/startup
and the closing date is 2359 (GMT +8) on 12th July 2020. Shortlisted teams will be announced on 20 July to progress to the next stage, which is selection, followed by prototyping and the grand finale, due to take place on 2 October.
Challenge Themes and Problem Statements
Theme 1: Seamless Travel Experience
- How can we automate the process of identifying damaged baggage?
- How can we manage in-cabin baggage to ensure a smooth boarding experience?
- How can we re-imagine a customer’s life onboard Vistara flights?
- How can we use technology to reduce catering waste and automate the inflight delivery of pre-ordered meals?
Theme 2: People and Operations
- How can we use gamification to assess the suitability of candidates for Cabin Crew roles?
- How can we leverage intuitive digital tools to assist engineers in pre-departure activities?
Theme 3: Beyond Travel
- How can we enable new shopping experiences at physical touchpoints through personal mobile devices?
Theme 4: Travelling in the New Norm
- How can we build robust capabilities that address customers’ concerns on their health and safety across their travel journey, both on ground and in flight?
Theme 5: New Business Opportunities
- How can we leverage SIA’s assets and global brand to launch new products, services and businesses that are adjacent to and complement our core business?
Theme 6: Sustainability
- How can we develop new approaches to broaden our sustainability initiatives?
Finalists will be invited to pitch to Singapore Airlines’ senior management and top executives. Solutions with business potential will be fast-tracked into the SIA Accelerator Programme, where startups will build a Proof-of-Concept of their solution with the Airline.
Up to 5 startups from the Grand Finale round will fast-track implementing their solutions through the SIA Accelerator Programme:
- 10-week programme to implement your solution through a proof-of-concept
- Dedicated SIA business mentor and NUS advisor to co-develop solution
- Access to Singapore Airlines’ and key partners’ APIs
- Workspace and facilities at Singapore Airlines Digital Innovation Lab, KrisLab
- Funding Support
For further details and to apply, visit https://appchallenge.singaporeair.com/startup