Spirit Airlines has completed yet another groundbreaking investment in the Guest experience.
Guests can now binge their favorite shows via Spirit Wi-Fi on flights operated by its Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft.
The major milestone marks the first time a U.S.-based ultra-low fare airline has offered high-speed Wi-Fi.
Spirit partnered with Thales to install the high-speed connectivity solution FlytLIVE to cover Spirit’s network across the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean. This state-of-the-art system offers access to internet services.
Guests can enjoy an at-home level of experience in the air while viewing video from their streaming services, playing games and connecting on social media with their personal devices.
As another major milestone, Spirit expects to provide the fastest Wi-Fi service of any U.S.-based airline when all FlytLIVE-enabled planes are connected to the new, very high-throughput SES-17 satellite by September 2022.
“This is a real groundbreaking moment in the industry as Spirit adds in-flight amenities and product options that have previously not been available on ultra-low fare carriers,” said Matt Klein, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer for Spirit Airlines.
“We’re continuing to deliver the best value in the sky by providing options that are important to our Guests, like our high-speed Wi-Fi service, while keeping our focus on affordable fares to provide our Guests with More Go.”
“At Thales, we are proud to partner with Spirit Airlines in their mission to enhance the Guest experience and are truly excited to have 100% of their A320 & A321 fleet equipped with FlytLIVE,” said TK Kallenbach, CEO Thales InFlyt Experience.
“The system’s reliability and performance is getting rave reviews from Spirit’s passengers who can now stream to their heart’s content.”
Spirit is the leader in providing customizable travel options that allow Guests to pay only for the options they choose like bags, seat assignments, refreshments, and now, Wi-Fi service will be part of this À La Smarte approach to travel. In addition to purchasing Wi-Fi on the flight, Guests can pre-purchase Wi-Fi at the time of booking on spirit.com effective July 13, 2022, and on the mobile app effective August 10, 2022, for flights on or after August 24, 2022. The voucher codes received from the pre-purchase option are for entry in the online Wi-Fi portal on the plane.
- Browsing: browse the web and stay in touch via email, chat, and social media starting at $2.99
- Streaming: stream, browse, and chat on board with high-speed internet that’s 20x faster than our browsing option starting at $5.99
- Turn on your device’s Wi-Fi and choose “Spirit_WiFi”
- Open your web browser and visit SpiritWiFi.com
- Choose the plan, enter your payment or voucher code information, and enjoy Spirit Wi-Fi
- The most advanced Ka-band high-throughput connectivity
- FlytLIVE uses SES & Hughes next-generation aviation satellite network and technology
- SES-17 satellite built to serve routes across the Americas and Atlantic with Ka-band coverage
- SES-17 is SES’s first satellite to have a totally digital payload, powered by a Thales advanced digital transparent processor (DTP), enabling greater flexibility and efficiency than previously available. Using Thales’ FlytLIVE and SES-17, Spirit expects to offer the best availability in the Americas and will be faster than other airlines based on published data.