The last of more than 700 flights deployed to bring home passengers stranded overseas by the Thomas Cook’ collapse are due to return to the UK this morning, of the 7 October.
Sunday 6 Oct was the final day that saw 24 flights returning 4,800 former Thomas Cook clients.
“We still have work to do, but I would like to say a sincere thank-you to everyone who has played their part in this operation so far. We are pleased 94% of holidaymakers have arrived home on the day of their original departure.” said CAA chief executive Richard Moriarty
With the travel plans of many customers remain uncertain and thousands of job losses on the horizon, the CAA said it would now turn its attention to refunding the 360,000 bookings cancelled when Britain’s oldest travel group went under.
Transport secretary Grant Shapps has said “The government will try to recoup some of the costs of the repatriation from third parties such as insurers and from the failed company’s assets.”
And an inquiry by the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee is to focus on directors’ stewardship of the company.